Raising money for your group or cause is as easy as selling great BBQ.
Wholesome Foods maintains a state-approved pit for fundraising activities. Everything you need, from advertising to BBQ sauce, is readily available.
- Schedule your event up to a year in advance.
- Our pit has been built to exact health department specifications and is acceptable to both state and county health departments in order to have a BBQ.
- Groups must purchase chicken, charcoal, and BBQ sauce from Wholesome Foods. *
- Groups must use Wholesome Foods pit manager to oversee operations. *
- Wholesome Foods will help by advertising your BBQ in our weekly store advertisement in the Wednesday Northern Virginia Daily and on our company Facebook page, at no charge. Price will be advertised at $4.50 per half chicken unless notified otherwise.
- Organizations using the pit are responsible for leaving the pit area clean. All trash needs to be removed, empty coolers must be washed, and tables cleaned.
- Chicken will be racked and stored on a refrigerated trailer prior to the BBQ. After the completion of the BBQ, we require racks to be put back on the trailer in the stainless tank.
- Please plan to sell the product out of the service window and keep general public away from the pit area.
To enhance your fundraising, ask about adding:
- Macaroni and Cole Slaw Sides
- Potato Chips
- Bake Sale
- BBQ Sauce (pints)
- On-site Yard Sale
- On-site Car Wash
Planning for your event
- Our pricing is based on organizations earning $1 per order, using Wholesome Foods pit manager and several group members to do the selling. (Your cost is $3.50 per half for cooked and wrapped BBQ chicken, suggested selling price is $4.50)
- Our BBQ pit will handle a maximum of 825 chicken halves.
- Plan for 1 gallon of BBQ sauce and 1 (40lb.) bag of charcoal for 30-50 halves of chicken.
- We will put up a banner on the Monday before your BBQ to alert the public that there will be a BBQ the following Saturday.
- Information about the BBQ will be put in the Northern Virginia Daily and on our company Facebook page.
- Please bring a hammer to put up BBQ signs in the ground. We recommend one sign next to our store signage and one at each end of South Ox Road.
- You will need to bring heavy or insulated gloves to handle hot chicken. We will provide bags to put the chicken in when it is sold.
Instructions for your BBQ Day
- Put coal in pit, pyramid each bag, add lighter fluid, light charcoal. Allow charcoal to burn 30 minutes until edges turn white, then spread coals out.
- Place chicken on pit and cook for 1.5 hours, then baste with sauce.
- Chicken will need to cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours until wings easily pull out of socket or the drumsticks easily twist off.
- Remove chicken from rack. Add sauce in layers – chicken then sauce – as it is put into the cooler. Let sit in cooler for 45 minutes.
- Wrap chicken in foil, adding a good splash of BBQ sauce on each piece to enhance flavor.
- Place cooked product back in cooler. Any product transferred from the pit must be wrapped in foil and kept hot in coolers.
ATTENTION General Public (businesses, organizations, churches, etc)
We are now offering BBQ chicken for your special events! Cooked and wrapped in foil, right here at our pit, the BBQ chicken is hot and ready to go! We cook it, you pick it up!
- 50 halves (minimum): $6.50 each
- 51 to 800 halves (maximum): $5.50 each
Please call 800-723-6637 ext 2 to set up your special event!
In the event we are having a bbq scheduled for a club on Saturday or having one of ours on Friday, the price will be $4.50 per half! Please call to pre-order any amounts of 20 or more.
*There will be a $35.00 cooler deposit for orders of 50 or more if you do not supply the coolers. Deposit will be refunded the following week when the coolers are returned at our store.*
BBQ Pit Schedule
All Wholesome Foods BBQs on Fridays will be ready at 11 am and should be picked up outside under canopy or at the Wholesome Foods store. Saturday club BBQs will be ready at 9.30 am and should be picked up at pit window.
- Please note: If your group schedules a BBQ on a Saturday, Wholesome Foods will NOT hold our BBQ on the Friday before.
- *The “Unavailable” dates marked with an *asterisk* are dates the Edinburg VFW will be hosting a BBQ at their location, and we do not wish to schedule a BBQ that competes with them.
- Dates are subject to change.
- 1/22- Wholesome Foods
- 1/23 – OPEN
- 1/30 – OPEN
- 2/5 – Wholesome Foods
- 2/6 – OPEN
- 2/13 – OPEN
- 2/19 – Wholesome Foods
- 2/20 – OPEN
- 2/27 – OPEN
- 3/5 – Wholesome Foods
- 3/6 – OPEN
- 3/13 – OPEN
- 3/19 – Wholesome Foods
- 3/20 – OPEN
- 3/27 – OPEN
- 4/3 – Massanutten Tractor Club
- 4/10 – OPEN
- 4/16 – Wholesome Foods
- 4/17 – OPEN
- 4/24 – OPEN
- 5/1 – OPEN
- 5/8 – Massanutten Tractor Club
- 5/14 – Wholesome Foods
- 5/15 – OPEN
- 5/22 – OPEN
- 5/29 – Boy Scout troop 54 – Edinburg, VA
- 6/5 – OPEN
- 6/11 – Wholesome Foods
- 6/12 – OPEN
- 6/19 – Massanutten Tractor Club
- 6/25 – Wholesome Foods
- 6/26 – OPEN
- 7/3 – OPEN
- 7/09 – Wholesome Foods
- 7/10 – OPEN
- 7/17 – OPEN
- 7/23 – Wholesome Foods
- 7/24 – OPEN
- 7/31 – OPEN
- 8/6 – Wholesome Foods
- 8/7 – OPEN
- 8/14 – OPEN
- 8/20 – Wholesome Foods
- 8/21 – OPEN
- 8/28 – OPEN
- 9/3 – Wholesome Foods
- 9/4 – OPEN
- 9/11 – OPEN
- 9/17 – Wholesome Foods
- 9/18 – OPEN
- 9/25 – OPEN
- 10/1 – Wholesome Foods
- 10/2– OPEN
- 10/09 – OPEN
- 10/15 – Wholesome Foods
- 10/16 – OPEN
- 10/23 – OPEN
- 10/29 – OPEN
- 10/30 – OPEN
- 11/6 – OPEN
- 11/12 – Wholesome Foods
- 11/13– OPEN
- 11/20 – OPEN
- 11-26 –
- 11/27 – OPEN
- 12/4 – OPEN
- 12/10 – Wholesome Foods
- 12/11 – OPEN
- 12/18 – OPEN
- 12/24 –